Ah, yes, the debate about whether or not ILLEGAL immigrants should be held accountable for residing in the United States. A topic that never quite puts me in a good mood. How this is even a question in our country is mind-boggling, yet at the same time, it is just one of the many issues (aka, disappointments) that I have with our government and what they have allowed to, “fall through the cracks.”
In reading, http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/22/jones.arizona.immigration/index.html, it feels empowering and uplifting to read such strong beliefs about a state that is finally taking charge and getting their authority back. Basically, the article goes into detail about the new Arizona immigration law which now allows police enforcement to, “question individuals about their legal status and to detain and hand over those individuals who are illegal immigrants to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.” I am in total support of this!
One of the main problems I have with the critics that this article refers to are their concern for this new Arizona law allowing racial profiling. I call it a concern because Arizona Police Enforcement has already made clear that this will not be an issue. But why not?? Why aren’t state officials allowed to profile whom they may suspect of being in their state illegally? If they’re not illegal, there shouldn’t be a problem; right?
I wish Texas would follow the footsteps of Arizona. We need to find a backbone like Arizona has and start enforcing the laws that are already in place! I went as far as to go online and find the general requirements for administrative naturalization to be a United States citizen. Among them are:
• an ability to read, write, and speak English;
• a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;
• good moral character;
• attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and,
• favorable disposition toward the United States.
How many illegal immigrants have you met that speak/read/write English? Or care to learn and understand our U.S. history?
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment